Skip to main content

Highlighted Quotes That Caught my Attention At The Moment

“The first fact about the celebration of birthdays is that it is a good way of affirming defiantly, and even flamboyantly, that it is a good thing to be alive.” – G.K. Chesterton.

Followers!

Featured

In Which the much waited DLC for Victoria 3 comes out!

Good morning, my friend, reader of this post! Happy Thursday! How are you and how was your week so far? How is the weather? As for me, I cannot deny it was a week with a great event, new DLC for Victoria 3 being released. The game, that I haven't touched much since May, was quickly revived by this new content. More on that, further on the this blog entry. I am overall okay, some ups and downs, I suppose it happens. At least I managed to sleep more reasonably Wednesday night, it has been rare for me to rest as much when I am supposed to do it, so that is a good achievement! The weather has been pleasant as well, cheers to that, I love Winter! How June is going by fast, at this point. Soon, it will be over. I already should plan on my Wrap up post of the month, so we can start July in a good way... one month closer to my birthday. I still hope I can switch phones, somehow, but financial troubles still haunt me. I did spend more in June than I was expecting, way more than I should, mu

In Which we talk about the Decennium Horribilis of Queen Elizabeth II

Hello and good morning, dear reader. I usually write about nice things, but today I wanted to write about something dreary, how the decade of 1990 was unkind towards the Queen of the United Kingdom, Elizabeth II Regina. I also must ask, how are you? How are things going? I do wish you the best, and hope your year was nice overall, and it may be keep on being nice in this last month we have of it! Well, like I said, I have some history to share, so let's jump to it.


Elizabeth II's Annus Horribilis Speech


Queen Elizabeth II popularized the term "Annus Horribilis" when she called her year of 1992 that. Years come and go with good things and bad things, but many bombs hit her life during this time. One of her residences caught fire, many divorces in the Royal Family, including Prince Charles and Princess Diana. People threw eggs at her in one of her visits across Europe, and many mocked and condemned her and the Institution of the Monarchy. Also, a newspaper leaked her famous Christmas Speech 5 days prior to the broadcast, a major blow, that ended up with Her Majesty in court against said Newspaper.

I would go further and say the decade of 1990 itself wasn't kind towards this head of state that I admire. Portrayed in the movie "The Queen", one movie I really appreciate, The death of Princess Diana was another huge hit in the monarchy, not because she was cherished by her Majesty, but because the public turned against Elizabeth once more. Knowing a different Diana than the public knew, as the private life of a family, even a royal family, goes, the Queen naturally wouldn't mourn her, I must say awful, death, in such a hysterical way as the public did. The press, always the press, was quick to demand blood and revolution. Also, the election of Anthony Blair, a labour prime minister, during those years, wasn't much of a help. The decade would finally end with another visit from Death, claiming the life of her beloved mother and sister. Helen Mirren, the actress that portrayed her Majesty in the movie I mentioned, in her elegant speech of acceptance of the Oscar, mentioned her admiration towards Elizabeth, a strong human that faced many storms. I would say, one of the most violent ones were in the decade of 1990. 

I mention this because I do tend to believe that this year of 2021 would be known by me as an Annus Horribilis, a year of advancement of socialim, lockdowns, forced vaccinations and moral decline. In my personal life, I had to face a major moment of uncertainty, when my computer broke down in June-July. Her Majesty had to face death once again, now claiming the life of her husband, prince Phillip. In my life, I had to deal with the death of my grandpa, this was the first year without him, day 28th of November will be 365 days of his departure. Well, it is a bit sad of me to write a post about a horrible year in thanksgiving season, I do believe it's suiting, because thanksgiving elevates us in times of sorrow, counting our blessings and telling our friends how much we love and appreciate them. As one person said, without crisis, we would never know years of plenty. And even in an annus horribilis we still have Christmas, and Thanksgiving, wonderful holidays! Lots of Christmas decorations already fill the house of grandma with joy, and I will, hopefully, work on my Christmas drawing for 2021 sooner rather than later! Let's see how it goes... Thank you, dear reader, for sticking around in the year where I had moments of not writing in the blog also. But I stuck with it in the end, and I shall continue updating this venue in 2022! Can't wait to write some more posts here in this 2021 as well, we still have the lovely month of December to go! Let's jump to it, shall we? Wish you the best! See you real soon!

Comments