Skip to main content

Highlighted Quotes That Caught my Attention At The Moment

“The first fact about the celebration of birthdays is that it is a good way of affirming defiantly, and even flamboyantly, that it is a good thing to be alive.” – G.K. Chesterton.

Followers!

Featured

In Which I plan my Christmas Card for 2024

Good morning, dear friend, reader of this post. Happy Sunday, and I wish you the best, both today and on the new week. I must say: September is going by very fast. It is not a bad thing on its own, but I dread the approximation of Summer. There is the bright side the season of holidays is coning, with special dates such as Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas, specially Christmas on my end, since it is my favorite one. How are you, this Sunday? I was here very recently, so I do not expect you to be that much in a different mood, even if a lot can happen in even a couple of hours. s for me, I am... still afloat, recovering from a harsh day, of many tears and no hope. As I try to occupy my free time, I did manage to play some games, such as Sims 3, and Europa Universalis, as well as trying Victoria 3 once again. On Sims 3, as I was in much distress, I decided that I would treat myself to some expansions of the game that I was missing: those were the niche last one released for the game:

In Which we talk a bit about some events in the amazing life of Elisabeth Vigee Le Brun

Good morning, dear reader of this post, my friend! Happy Sunday! How are you today? How are things going this weekend? I do wish you the best! As for me, I was a bit sad yesterday, and did not really feel neither as productive or as fulfilled. I missed talking with my friend terribly, and that made have a moment of dry melancholy, where I could not cry, but felt very sad nonetheless. How I miss my friend. I do hope we may have the chance to talk a bit further soon, and so I pray for that. But even if we don't chat as much for the time being, our friendship shall endure forever, for we are fond of one another, and fully trusting of one another, so I hope. I got exhausted and slept through most of the late afternoon and the evening, waking up later today than I'd like have to. I did have the chance to do something nice, though, that I will talk about on this post! Writing a lot on it already, I am so excited for you to take a look, to the point we should jump straight into the main topic, shall we?

Post About Vigee Le Brun, Instagram of the blog @DIVAGATIONSOCIETY

I recently rewatched, I believe it's the fourth time I do this - and not even tired of it yet, the most excellent documentary on the life of Elisabeth Vigee LeBrun, great french portratist of the 18th century, one that I really love beyond measure. I am inclined to transcribe the whole thing here on the blog, or on whatever vessel I may write about, because the piece is so good and her life is so amazing. I did a very brief summary of things that caught my eye on the Instagram of the Blog, that I recently sought to reform, but like I said on the post, I ought to write more on this superb artist more often and on whatever vessel I may find available. I am particularly struck, for example, that already at 14 she could do a piece of art worthy of attention and even praise, and that she was already around that age receiving commissions that were enough as to be added to the family budget, which is even more impressive, because her family was not poor, far from it. Even so, she was already capable of maintaining herself independently, should she desired to follow the path, or needed to do so. The documentary shows that very well, not only her amazing talents and taste, but her beauty and grace. She understood people, and that was the reason her portraits are so good, they go beyond reality, as to capture the soul itself, somehow. She did that to Marie Antoinette, for example, a most notable example, and the queen was so awestruck and so enchanted she entrusted Elisabeth to become her portratist of trust. The relationship of Marie and Elisabeth, the documentary points out, was not that of a close friendship, but nonetheless, one of true affection and intimacy. Marie protected not only this artist that she deem to be worthy, but also her dressmaker, Rose Bertin, promoting them even further, and celebrating their gifts. There is an anecdote that Elisabeth points out in her memoirs, that no one really knows for sure if it's true, but many suspect that it is indeed a veridic event. It is the moment that unfortunately Elisabeth fell a bit ill and could not attend a session of painting of the portrait of the queen. Elisabeth was devastated by this, and went the other day at once to the trianon to apologize. Marie said more in an amicable, concerned tone than the one of reproach "I was expecting you the whole day yesterday, whatever happened". Elisabeth explained, and Instead of reproaching her, the queen was ever so amicable and they had instead the sitting and painting session that day. Elisabeth was happy to be pardoned by the queen, so much so, she opened her case of brushes too excitingly and dropped them on the floor. Embarassed, she was about to apologize once again and get them, but Marie, smiling, told her "nevermind, let me get them for you", and so that is how the queen of France herself caught the brushes of Elisabeth on the floor. I have no reason to believe this is a false event, Marie was close to her staff, suppliers, colleagues, she was kind and thoughtful, never malicious or sombre, no reason to believe she would not get the brushes on the floor for this artist, that was so dear to her.

And as you can imagine that is much more what I could write on this fantastic artist, some I wrote very briefly about here, some I wrote even more briefly on the blog... Either way, this artist is worthy of praise! I hope to write more on her, and on my queen Marie Antoinette, and on this brief but beautiful era, soon! I pray that I may have the enthusiasm to do it tomorrow, even, though I won't get ahead of myself. Cheers to you, dear friend, and I see you again real real real real soon.

Comments

Popular Posts