Skip to main content

Quote of the moment Vol.2

“We have had no good comic operas of late, because the real world has been more comic than any possible opera.” – Illustrated London News, Jan. 17, 1931 G. K. Chesterton

Highlighted Quotes That Caught my Attention At The Moment

"I am the last monarch of the old world. As Emperor, it is my duty to protect my peoples from their politicians" -Franz Joseph, Emperor of Austria-Hungary

Followers!

Featured

In Which August 2026 Ends, slightly above average, for all it is due

Good morning, dear friend, reader of this post! I trust it should be time for us now to wrap up the month of August! How was yours? As for my own, it went fast, and though not on the top 5 best months of my life, specially due to the bellow average birthday time, it was not a lost case scenario, in fact, retrospectively, it was a productive one, far more than I was anticipating, and specially concerning writing. It is true that financially it was a profoundly rough month, and in other aspects, such as the longing for chatting with my best friends more often, which for now could not happen, it went lackluster, but we did have had good news, such as the new DLC for Age of Empires 3 DE, coming, at least on the schedule, on September 10th. You know how chaotic a gane release can be, even of a DLC, reason why I don't know for sure if it will actually come on September, or will be delayed, but thinking that just two months ago we deemed Age 3 all but on maintenance mode, that is a remark...

In which we talk about some Moon Dust!

Hello everyone!! Happy Wednesday to you and good night!! It's time for another post, yay!! How are you today, and how are things going?? As always, I wish you the best, I don't know if this actually improves your day or not, but well, I do wish you good things. I'm really happy to be on my birthday week! Things are being calm and nice, not so many problems, and those who are can be adressed, of course the weather is hot, just like summer, but I don't know, blue skies fit my mood with my incoming celebration and my gifts and so on! It's being a nice month of August so far!
So, today I wanted to talk just briefly about one of my favorite books EVER, one that has helped me in the dark year of 2014 and has influenced me so much, it has brought friends close to me and was basically a blessing in my existence! I'm talking about "PĂł de Lua" - I tried to translate that to "Moon Dust", hope it's not too innacurate - by the terrific Clarice Freire! Clarice comes from a very artistic and intelectualized family, and had an interest of playing with Portuguese - a very tricky language, so it can be funny playing with such a complex idiom - she also really likes to sketch and all that. She is sensitive and curious, crafty and quirky, as you can notice in her books. She used to work in the publicity world, and sometimes in order to release stress she'd sketch in any sheet next to her. By the end of the day she'd then throw all her creations on the trash can. Until one day someone in her office became curious by her behavior and decided to look in her trash to find out what was her throwing away, and the person was absolutely enchanted by what was found, so much in fact she expressed her horror that the author was throwing such a thing away, and so it begins. I saw Clarice with another very talented author, Pedro Gabriel back in 2015, at a convention in my town, and that was the story that she told, or at least that I can remember, I mean, it was three years ago. It was a very nice event and I even got to meet both of the authors, got to hug them and got their autographs! So incredible it was...
I found out about the book completely out of nowhere, back in 2014, a not so amazing chapter of my life, as I was on the bookstore. I got curious by the title and the cover of the book, and I ended up purchasing it. One of the best things I did! I was completely enchanted by it, how expontaneous she was and how wonderful the quotes and the sketches are, and how they come together as well! So effortless and so breathtaking, such a positive energy, many valuable lessons in just a few words. She's inventive and superb, and I still follow her work actively and enthusiastically, and I don't think I'll ever stop doing that.
So, this book is in portuguese and many of the sentences are made making some plays around the portuguese language, but I wanted to share some of these with you guys and maybe try to translate them a little in the best way I can. So, to the pictures!

This is the cover that enchanted me! My copy of the book is 4 years old, so it's not flawless anymore, unfortunately...
The autograph form Clarice! "To Daniel, with much love"
"I'm leaving in the streets the crumbs and what I tasted and proved that is wrong" - Promise it makes much more sense in Portuguese

"If you have to say it, say it tactifully
If you want to change yourself, do it, but do it rightly
If it is love, do love, and let it be perfect
You do commit mistakes, do them, but learn the lesson
-
I'm done with those who only speak about and live around catch quotes"
"I'm too small to do big things, so I want to be big in the small ones"
-
"Let us diminish all evil, instead of greatness, let us pursue all the details"
"I try all the time not to settle with less than contended" - fun fact: the world "Contente" has nothing to do with the word "contempt", while the first one means "happy, comfortable, pleased" the second one means despise.

And this is it for the first book! As you can see, it is light, full with nice quirky quotes that are playful and joyous, really appreciate her style a lot!
The second book by her is the sort of continuation of Moon Dust, which is "Noites em Claro" - Awaken at night. In this one Clarice got more confident and bold, she takes her style into new places, develops a plot somewhat - a character that wanders in the streets of its town in the night - and got a little bit more complex, without losing her essence, let us check it out!

The cover announces the difference between the two books
"I always have my daybreak moments" - her drawing materials and techniques got bolder in the second book
Her drawings and details got more bolder as well, this bird is wonderful
The quotes got more extensive as well, unfortunately I don't have a translation for this one, I'm terribly sorry
The drawings and details are indeed wonderful, I personally love them a lot
"You still want to change the direction of the common winds?
What else more could I do with my life? There's nothing more noble than that"
"Cut down what it doesn't matter" - this is one of my personal mottos

As you can see, the books have many things in common, but the second one more succesfully take us to an adventure at night, a very dreamy and curious one, filled with nice drawings and beautiful creatures, who needs to sleep anyway, when there's so much beauty around when the sun goes down? I love both of the books so much! I hope a third one comes, that would be so wonderful!
The beautiful world of Clarice is what we have for today in this very big post! Hope you're still here and hope you enjoyed it! I think she's gifted and full of good energy, so much he needs to share it with everyone! I'm such a fan! I definitely will write more about her and her work in the future! I'm so happy to be here writing! And I appreciate sharing my thoughts with you a lot! This is the end of today's post, see you next time!!!!!!!

Comments