Skip to main content

Highlighted Quotes That Caught my Attention At The Moment

“The first fact about the celebration of birthdays is that it is a good way of affirming defiantly, and even flamboyantly, that it is a good thing to be alive.” – G.K. Chesterton.

Followers!

Featured

In Which I plan my Christmas Card for 2024

Good morning, dear friend, reader of this post. Happy Sunday, and I wish you the best, both today and on the new week. I must say: September is going by very fast. It is not a bad thing on its own, but I dread the approximation of Summer. There is the bright side the season of holidays is coning, with special dates such as Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas, specially Christmas on my end, since it is my favorite one. How are you, this Sunday? I was here very recently, so I do not expect you to be that much in a different mood, even if a lot can happen in even a couple of hours. s for me, I am... still afloat, recovering from a harsh day, of many tears and no hope. As I try to occupy my free time, I did manage to play some games, such as Sims 3, and Europa Universalis, as well as trying Victoria 3 once again. On Sims 3, as I was in much distress, I decided that I would treat myself to some expansions of the game that I was missing: those were the niche last one released for the game:

In Which we talk about Clone High, is it an acid version of Total Drama?

So, we'll have some spoilers, though I did my best to avoid them! That being said...

Hello everyone! Good morning and happy Monday! How are you today, this very cold Spring, this very hot fall? I'm doing alright! And I'm glad to be here today! Grandma just complained I don't go for walks or physical exercises too often, she is right, and I should do something about it, in one hand, in one other, it sucks to listen to her talking about it, but well, like I said, I'm glad to be here today, life is nice! And today I decided to do a review, of this show that I'm finishing watching, that I'd love to share my remarks with you guys, we should jump to it!

So, because I'm very much into the Art Style of this show, that really reminds me of Total Drama, released in 2006, which is my favorite show ever, I decided to give Clone High, relased in 2002, a shot. I wasn't aware of this one until I saw a review by Saberspark. I used to watch his videos a lot in 2019, laughing at the outrageous movies and tv series he used to review. I thought that it was related to TD, even, because the art is so similar, when I watched the first minutes of his review, I found out the shows are not obviously related, so I gave up on watching the whole thing, and the story would've ended like that... until I was exploring my watch later list and decided to give Saberspark's video another shot. It kinda gave me the idea of watching CH, specially because it was available on Youtube, so I did! So, I'm almost reaching final episode of the show by now, do I recommend it? Did I like it? Well...

The show, by the way, is a parody of high school teen dramas, and it laughs it off on the over the top dramas of this era, like love triangles, going to the prom, makeover, being friendzoned, and just the whole high school vibe. The characters are over the top stereotyped clones of historical personalities, such as Joan of Arc, that was "reborn" a goth girl, John Kennedy, that was reborn a playboy, and Gandhi, that was reborn a party animal. The main characters are those plus Cleopatra, the queen bee of the school, and Abe Lincoln, that is a stick that walks and talks and is clueless. They were brought to life in reason of a secret program by the US government. The scientist, one of the main characters, is a mad one that has a drone as a butler and wants to take over, making little secret of it, causing the government to frequently suspice him and even try to terminate him lots of times. 


As you guys can see, the art style of both shows is pretty similar, and superficially, they kinda look similar, both of them have a goth girl, a party animal, a queen bee, but the similarities are only superficial

Like Total Drama, it is a parody that makes fun of some tv gender, as TD makes fun of Reality Shows and CH makes fun of high school dramas, but as TD still has some love for Reality TV, and is a show having people around 12-16 in mind, it doesn't get overly cynical, even embracing the reality aspect of it. The characters in TD are also stereotypes, but they grow into their own creations, they have life, the universe of the show is constantly changing and it feels real (at least on the first three seasons and the great 2015 spin off, the last three are kinda meh, and lose many of those aspects). You guys probably can tell where I'm going with this. CH is a show for adults, in an adult network, so the show has absolutely no respect for the gender it's making fun of, it goes gloves off. Some moments you can drown on the cynicism of the episodes, it gets too much. The characters are caricatures, except for Joan and Abe at moments, they don't go anywhere. I mean, there is a sweet(?) moment where you feel for John Kennedy, or another moment where Gandhi gets real, but the overall mockery stops you from going too far in feelings with this show. Not saying you won't care if Abe will find that he is friendzoning the love of his life, or that you won't feel for JFK, his smile and fit body, the show has its moments, but overall, it is just that, moments. Superficially, the absurdity of having those cloned historical figures going together to high school, it reminds me what happens on Civilization, with its perks of having Gandhi being a nuclear missile freak (Civ 1-5), having Pedro of Brazil discovering Asia with its mighty frigates and in the end conquering Portugal with the power of its culture. But, there is lots of Love in Civ, in the roleplay aspect of it (that got a bit lost in Civ 6). Not saying the devs of Clone High don't love the show, but their love is on making fun of things, not on the story itself.

Do I recommend Clone High? I mean, if you are into gory adult comedy, satires and stuff, go for it, but if you are like me, I'd skip it. It's been a while in which I don't trust Saber's judgement anymore, we clearly have different worldviews. I will leave the link of his review HERE and here HERE (Clone High) you'll find the show. This post was totally improvised, and it reminds me of my review of American Life, the album by Madonna (one of her most forgettable ones), but anyway, it's good to have this blog, to share my thought with you guys! Thank you so much for reading, see you again real soon!

Comments

Popular Posts