Skip to main content

Quote of the moment Vol.2

“We have had no good comic operas of late, because the real world has been more comic than any possible opera.” – Illustrated London News, Jan. 17, 1931 G. K. Chesterton

Highlighted Quotes That Caught my Attention At The Moment

"I am the last monarch of the old world. As Emperor, it is my duty to protect my peoples from their politicians" -Franz Joseph, Emperor of Austria-Hungary

Followers!

Featured

In Which we Wrap up September: At the Gates of a crosswalk

Good evening my good friend, reader of this present post! How are you today? How have you been? We have reached the end of another month, as Christmas season of 2026 either unfolds or draws near, depending on your traditional habits. In any case, the second half of a year, and specially the months of the holiday events, such as Halloween and Thanksgiving, go by quite fast, they also obey their own special laws, separated from the speed of light. I love to see autumn, albeit from afar, given it is spring to summer time in my tropical area. The weather has been so far kept in a pleasant way, and as I understand October may advance the heat forward, I ought to enjoy the breeze as it lasts. And I am okay, I would say. It was a month of me getting the internship and taking part on the first shift of the internship, just observing the classroom while the teacher that took me in, Bless her soul, really did a rather good job at keeping a classroom of so many loud teenagers under control. It wa...

The Adventures of Mr. D'Onofrio and his Suitcase with 700 Socks! Chapter 13

 The average adult “small person” had the size of a 8 year old child, so their houses were similar to the human ones, though somewhat smaller, but just the right size to Zach to enter in it if he wanted to. The furniture and everything in it could be a bore, since everything was built for smaller creatures, and even the couch couldn’t fit Zach properly. Adelaide and Zach went to the houses, her stomach was grumbling.

“Hello? Is everyone in here?? Hello?”

One of the doors of one of the houses was open and a middle-aged woman went outside of it. Curious, she asked:

“You are a tall creature, mister, excuse me for pointing out, but I haven’t seen someone as tall as you in quite a while!”

“Greetings, Madame, my name is Zachary D’Onofrio. My friend Adelaide and me are trying to reach the land of socks.”

“Hello Mr. D’Onofrio, welcome to our small town. I’m LaDonna Gayes, but you can call me Donna.”

“Hello, Donna”, said Adelaide, “As my friend Zach was telling you, we’re heading to the Land of Socks. But first, I’d like to humbly ask for your help”

“My help? What is the matter? Maybe I can help you”

“You see, I’m starving, guiding my friend on this alternate path, we’ve been walking for days, do you have some food to spare?”

“I think I can help you with that, don’t worry”

“How can we repay you?” Said Zach, a bit worried.

“No need for it! It will be my pleasure to have some guests at my house, and I’m sure my family wouldn’t mind either! Come in, come in, just watch your step Mister D’Onofrio, you’re a bit too tall for this house, but if you be careful it shouldn’t be a problem!”

“How kind of you, Madame! We’re sincerely grateful!”

“No problems, young lady! And please call me Donna! Come in! We have plenty of food to spare!”

And so, they greeted the family of Donna and went in to the dining room, as the woman and her maid prepared something for the travelers. Zach had some problems fitting on the chair, but after all he stablished himself there. Soon, Adelaide had a rich and nice brunch, as the family happily saw them eat. As they were being guests, Donna told them that unlike people in other places, the ones living by the lakes of ice cream lived in happiness and were always happy and willing to share their bountifulness with the scarce travelers of the region! Zach told her that when he was entering the forest, he had an encounter with a warner who told him to be careful with the small people, as they were not very friendly.

“Well, there’re some bad people around here, but I think there’re bad people everywhere… do we think we are bad people, Zach?”

“No, Madame! It was not my intention to say so!”

“Don’t worry, Zach. Some people are bad, but there are plenty of good and nice people as well, big or small. Sentinels are not the nicest people around, but well, at least me, I would not call myself a bad person…”

“You certainly are not, madame!”

“So, why are you going to the place of Socks, Mr. D’Onofrio, can I ask you this?”

And so Zach told the story he told to the sentinels and also to Adelaide.

“That is interesting, and I think it is lovely as well, this shortcut is definitely better than the other paths on the woods, if you don’t know this place, you can get lost pretty fast. Luckily, the ice cream lake deeply frozen it is by this time of year, you will not have trouble crossing it, the sleighman will help you cross it in no time and for a nice price”

“Except I won’t be riding the sleigh, I will go on my feet to the other side of the path!”

“But why, Mr. D’Onofrio? That will make your crossing so much more complicated, risky and tiring!”

“I won’t go to the sleigh. No. Transportations are dangerous. They are evil. They kill people.”

“No, sleighs are pretty safe! Don’t worry Mr. D’Onofrio!”

“Well, I won’t be going to ride the sleigh, thank you for your advice, but I’m fine”

“Well, that will certainly make stuff difficult for you, but I think if you really have to, you will be able to cross the lake either way”

After eating the meal and chatting a bit more, Adelaide and Zach thanked for the food and hospitality and went on their way to the sleigh. Donna told Zach once more about how better it was to ride the sleigh, but he only nodded his head and hided his bore for her to say such a thing, why was he the only person that saw those things as threats? It was in a ship that the people he loved the most met their end, as the thing was too weak to face a storm. But he wasn’t going there, no.


Comments