Skip to main content

Quote of the moment Vol.2

“We have had no good comic operas of late, because the real world has been more comic than any possible opera.” – Illustrated London News, Jan. 17, 1931 G. K. Chesterton

Highlighted Quotes That Caught my Attention At The Moment

"I am the last monarch of the old world. As Emperor, it is my duty to protect my peoples from their politicians" -Franz Joseph, Emperor of Austria-Hungary

Followers!

Featured

In Which we say Hello to October 2026! A vision of hard-earnt Optimism

Hello, my good friend! Happy Sunday! I started writing this post on Saturday, some days before the first turn of the general election. I wrote on the sense I did feel an air of optimism. But given it was not entirely justified, not yet, I decided to abstain from writing for the weekend, I really did not want to be blamed of calling a victory before due time and process. The due process is in motion, and I am very happy to say my optimism was justified, and I read the room quite well, which makes me happy, because what I saw was hope. I will keep most of the original post unchanged, making only some add-ons and corrections here and there. So, let us jump to it! Good morning, kind friend, reader of this post on the Divagation Store! Well, how are you? How is the weather? Hope you are okay, and the temperature is fine? As for me, I am okay, a bit anxious, but what else is new... Tomorrow is a day of general election in Brazil, the country I reside in, and I trust it is an important one, I...

In Which we briefly talk about Economics, Math, and Anno 1800

Good morning everyone and happy Monday! The Tourist Season DLC is just like 36 hours away, how awesome is that? Thinking about it, I decided to write a bit about the first release of this amazing season, Docklands! But first, how are you? How is the weather? Here it varies between hot and more mild days, with rain and sun, I know my plants thrive on it. As for me, I thrive when the climate is cold, but not when it gets hotter and the sun is overwhelming, specially now that my fan is broke, much to my sadness... Well, one step at a time, perhaps it will be fixed soon. And speaking of electronics, again, let's go for Docklands!


Docklands was the first DLC of the third season of Anno, and though was a small and straightforward one, caused a true Anno Renaissance in my life, made me look for Anno videos and Anno streams, which made me have contact with guys such as Takarazuka and Itroo, as well as Pablo1713, that with his guide, helped me settle in the Arctic, one of the most difficult regions in the game, due to the dire need of coal for the heaters and so on. One thing that caught my attention on Docklands is how it incentivizes me to specialize my economy, producing high tier items in exchange for low tier ones. Of course, not necessarily, there is no right way of playing Anno, but think about it, even if value is subjective, Captain Tobias has a bigger need for Gramophones than he has for pigs, and is willing to trade just a touch of those for an insane amount of the latter. Anno is definitely not real life, I don't think it was supposed to be, even with the drawing of inspirations from our world, but it can teach you a bit about economics! How many gramophones buy 5000 pigs? Pigs that we can use for so many items in the game, if you exchange the value of gramophones for the value in money, things make yet more sense! Important to say, again, as the marginalist revolution, lead by thinkers such as Carl Menger and Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk, show us, the value of a product is subjective, but the fact is, makes sense for our Toby to demand more Gramophones than he demands pigs, for so many reasons, even if it's impossible to predict human action. Anno is not real life, it is a form of making math fun for many that, like me, detest it. Computers take Math to the ultimum level, but economics and life are not math, it is so much more complex than that! Attempts to simulate it are just that, simulation. But it's fun to see how Anno mimics the international division of labor, where some places thrive offering commodities such as Coffee and Cotton (think of Imperial Brazil, for example) while others thrive offering those places more industrial items, such as machines and even bicycles! Anyway, does my monologue makes sense? One thing is for sure, Captn. Toby is one of my favorite characters in Anno! Such a nice and useful guy! Docklands may be a small DLC, but even it adds so much to the game I can't imagine 1800 without it anymore! As you guys know, I'm not too fond of bigger posts, so I should stop here, saying again that I cannot wait for the new Anno DLC coming TOMORROW! Oh my God right? It's gonna be awesome! Thank you so much for reading this post, you guys are amazing, see you again real soon!

Comments