Skip to main content

Highlighted Quotes That Caught my Attention At The Moment

“The first fact about the celebration of birthdays is that it is a good way of affirming defiantly, and even flamboyantly, that it is a good thing to be alive.” – G.K. Chesterton.

Followers!

Featured

In Which I plan my Christmas Card for 2024

Good morning, dear friend, reader of this post. Happy Sunday, and I wish you the best, both today and on the new week. I must say: September is going by very fast. It is not a bad thing on its own, but I dread the approximation of Summer. There is the bright side the season of holidays is coning, with special dates such as Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas, specially Christmas on my end, since it is my favorite one. How are you, this Sunday? I was here very recently, so I do not expect you to be that much in a different mood, even if a lot can happen in even a couple of hours. s for me, I am... still afloat, recovering from a harsh day, of many tears and no hope. As I try to occupy my free time, I did manage to play some games, such as Sims 3, and Europa Universalis, as well as trying Victoria 3 once again. On Sims 3, as I was in much distress, I decided that I would treat myself to some expansions of the game that I was missing: those were the niche last one released for the game:

In Which I’m (still) in Love with Egypt

Good morning, my friend, dear of this post! Happy Sunday, and I wish you the best! How are you, today? As for me, I am okay! I can say, for the past few days or so, I’ve been seeing more Egyptian things than usual. That is because of the new book I’ve been reading, on that kingdom of past times. I also been playing the game Pharaoh alongside it, so, you get the picture. How good is the book? Well, it is a page turner, but one I am more reluctant to officially endorse. It has a lot of good information, but it has some issues with drawing from present examples too much, for example. The civilization of the Pharaohs, and the Pharaoh was always at the central role, was capable of marvelous things, but also of such cruelties as to torch people alive if they dared to question Pharaoh’s sovereignty. And why I say that the Pharaoh is central to Egypt as the Nile that flows towards the Mediterranean is also crucial? Well, if things are bad with a Pharaoh, that do and undo as he pleases, they are much much worse without this figure of arbitre, of sorts. The intermediate periods, times where Egypt was without a proper King, were moments that make the most tyrannical of Pharaohs to be prayed upon with longing. There was no middle ground in this land, it is either the red desert upon the scorching sun, or the inundation of the lowlands. To be fair, the inundation is seen with both Awe and fear. It is capable of huge disastrous deeds, but also it is what makes the land black of so fertile, rich in nutrients to make crops aplenty. I suppose part of the shock of me with this book is because I do have a rosy vision of Egypt, even if their economy is not only a mess, but a freaking soviet mess of all messes. It is hard not to see Egypt with kind eyes, because the whole official events are narrated through the egyptian art as to be presented in the best possible light. There was no impartiality. At all. So I do give the book credit for seeing it beyond the official Hieroglyphs. But I also don’t like the bitterness and the bias of the author. I don’t trust him to tell the tale. It is a book that once you start reading, you can’t stop, because you want to know bow it will end, no matter if you actually do know how it will… it is not that pleasant of a journey, though. But with all that being said, I am grateful for dear friend Johannes for recommending such book, we both share a passion for History and Egypt. I hope we can soon chat more on this, as you could see, I have already some lengthy thoughts in it.




And with that,  should I wrap things for today? I will start the process, then. I hope this week may go alright with you, my friend, reader of this post! And I hope to see you again at sone point the next week, last one of August. Not only that, but Victoria 3 is coming with a new DLC and a bunch of updates tomorrow. If they provide me with stuff to write about, even better. For sure, though, I’ll be back till the end of the month, if anything to do the farewell to August. Thank you ever so much for being here!!! See you again real real real real real soon.

Comments

Popular Posts